- When did the NBA adopt the 3 point shot?
- How far is a 3 point shot?
- Did the ABA have a 3 point line?
- Where do you measure the 3 point line from?
- Did Shaq ever make a 3?
- Who is the best 3 point shooter in NBA history?
- How far is a 3 point shot in high school?
- What happens if you dunk from the 3 point line?
- What age did Michael Jordan retire?
- When did the 3 pointer start?
- Why was the 3 point shot invented?
- Who were the original 8 NBA teams?
- How far is the high school 3 point line from the basket?
- How far away is the 3 point line from the hoop?
- How tall do you have to be to dunk?
Ronnie Carr of Western Carolina was the first to score a three-point field goal in college basketball history on November 29, 1980.
When did the NBA adopt the 3 point shot?
How far is a 3 point shot?
* The NBA three-point line is 3 ft (0.91 m) from the sideline in a zone starting at the baseline and ending when it crosses the 23.75 ft (7.24 m) arc. The 22 ft (6.70 m) distance exists only at the points on the three-point line that are directly to the left and right of the basket center.
Did the ABA have a 3 point line?
The NBA was founded in 1946, a year after the 3-point line was first experimented with in a college basketball game. The 3-point line first appeared in the ABA in 1967. In 1979, the NBA finally adopted the line. Even Kyle Korver doesn’t have this kind of range, and he’s a great three-point shooter.
Where do you measure the 3 point line from?
The 3 Point Line (Arc):
NBA Basketball Courts – the 3 point arc is 22 feet to the center of the rim on the sides with a straight line extending out 16 feet 9 inches from the baseline. Past those points the line extends out 23 feet 9 inches from the center of the rim.
Did Shaq ever make a 3?
One & Done: 20 years ago, Shaq made his only 3-pointer. Shaquille O’Neal had the touch from long distance once. In fact, the legendary big man had more broken backboards than he had made 3-point shots during his 19-year NBA career.
Who is the best 3 point shooter in NBA history?
Ranking the 10 greatest three-point shooters in NBA history
- Steph Curry. Curry has shattered single-season records for three-pointers made, including in 2015-16 when he broke his own record with an astounding 402 treys.
- Ray Allen. Allen is No. 1 all-time in three-pointers made with an incredible 2,973.
- Steve Kerr.
- Reggie Miller.
- Klay Thompson.
- Larry Bird.
- Steve Nash.
- Kyle Korver.
How far is a 3 point shot in high school?
College and High School – the 3 point arc is 19 feet 9 inches, with a straight line extending out 5 feet 3 inches (63 inches) from the baseline.
What happens if you dunk from the 3 point line?
If you’re behind the line when you jump, but land on the line after you release the ball, a successful shot is worth three points. Remember that three-point shots from the corner are 1 foot, 9 inches shorter than shots from beyond the arc.
What age did Michael Jordan retire?
Three months later on October 6, 1993, following a run of three consecutive NBA championships, Jordan announced his retirement from basketball citing that “he no longer had the desire to play.” Now “retired” at age 33, it was uncertain what Jordan would do next.
When did the 3 pointer start?
Why was the 3 point shot invented?
The three-point shot later became popularized by the American Basketball Association (ABA), introduced in its inaugural 1967–68 season. ABA commissioner George Mikan stated the three-pointer “would give the smaller player a chance to score and open up the defense to make the game more enjoyable for the fans”.
Who were the original 8 NBA teams?
In 1950, the NBA consolidated to eleven franchises, a process that continued until 1953–54, when the league reached its smallest size of eight franchises: the New York Knicks, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia Warriors, Minneapolis Lakers, Rochester Royals, Fort Wayne Pistons, Tri-Cities Blackhawks, and Syracuse Nationals,
How far is the high school 3 point line from the basket?
The other visible difference is the distance from the three-point line. Shorter than either the NCAA or NBA, the high school free throw line is just 19 feet, nine inches from the center of the basket.
How far away is the 3 point line from the hoop?
The NBA 3-point line is 23.75 feet from the hoop, 22 feet in the corners. The FIBA 3-point line is 22.15 feet from the hoop, 21.65 feet in the corners. The WNBA uses the same 3-point line as FIBA. At the NCAA level, the 3-point line distance is 20.75 feet, for both men and women.
How tall do you have to be to dunk?
You’ll need to jump roughly 24 inches to touch the rim and 30 inches to dunk a full sized basketball (assuming average arm length). While the height difference between a 5 foot 9 person and a 6 foot person is only 3 inches, it’s actually a lot easier around this height for two reasons.